The Fresh Connection is a cross-functional, web-business simulation which motivates your team to deliver optimal performance by using supply chain management best practices from real-world situations.
Chuck Nemer is a leading trainer and implementer for “The Fresh Connection” – an innovative web-based business simulation. It engages participants in making strategic decisions in the management of a manufacturing company of fruit juices. Working in teams of four, participants will represent the functional roles of sales, purchasing, supply chain and finance.
They will be confronted with various real-life, real-time dilemmas. Cross-functional understanding and collaboration are key components, as teams work together to turn the company around.
How does The Fresh Connection Work?
The Fresh Connection immerses its participants in turning around a manufacturer of fruit juices. Faced with declining performance, the management team must get the company back on track as soon as possible. It is a high-pressure environment in which effective supply chain management is the key to success. The management team has four roles:
- VP Purchasing: Responsible for selecting the right suppliers and agreeing SLAs with suppliers, including possible collaboration options.
- VP operations: Must decide on capacity in warehouses and production areas and approve investment in bottling lines and mixers. Can introduces various improvement projects. Has the ability to outsource outbound warehousing.
- VP Supply Chain: Manages inventories (safety stock and lotsize settings), production intervals and the frozen period of production.
- VP Sales: Agrees SLAs with customers, manages the product and customer portfolio, forecasts demand and can introduce collaboration concepts.
Every decision a participant makes has trade-offs, both within and across roles, so participants will only succeed if they align all the disciplines. As the simulation evolves it becomes clear that a supply chain strategy is essential for success – and that the strategy must be deployed to functional levels and below to be effective. Winning is about generating the best ROI for the business while still managing your own team’s Key Performance Indicators and targets. The Fresh Connection is designed for any professional who works as part of cross-functional teams along the value chain. This can include:
- General managers
- Operations managers
- Production managers
- Supply chain managers
- Logistics managers
- Warehouse managers
- Sales/Marketing managers
- Financial managers
- Procurement managers/buyers